During a hearing test your audiologist will assess the entire hearing mechanism. This hearing evaluation essentially looks at the 3 parts of the ear both structurally and functionally. The outcome of this evaluation will be able to tell us whether there is any functional limitation in hearing and it can tell us where in the ear the problem originates from. This is of utmost importance for us to ensure that we make the correct recommendation for your way ahead.
* Certain additional audiological tests might be indicated in some cases. Your audiologist will make this decision depending on your unique case history, needs and symptoms. At Yolandé van der Westhuizen Audiologists we do not include all these tests at a routine hearing test in order to keep the cost of the hearing evaluation reasonable for the patient. If indicated, these additional tests could include: Reflex decay; Tone decay; Uncomfortable Loudness Levels; Most Comfortable loudness Levels; Short Increment Sensitivity Index; etc.
- Do you have normal hearing abilities or is there a hearing loss present.
- In the case of a hearing loss we would be able to confirm the following:
- The degree of hearing loss (the extent of the hearing loss)
- The type of hearing loss (where in the ear the problem lies)
- Possible causes of this hearing loss
- Treatment options: Is the hearing loss medically treatable through possible medication or surgery or is a hearing device or hearing aid required?