During a hearing test your audiologist will assess the entire hearing mechanism. This hearing evaluation essentially looks at the 3 parts of the ear both structurally and functionally. The outcome of this evaluation will be able to tell us whether there is any functional limitation in hearing and it can tell us where in the ear the problem originates from. This is of utmost importance for us to ensure that we make the correct recommendation for your way ahead.
* Certain additional audiological tests might be indicated in some cases. Your audiologist will make this decision depending on your unique case history, needs and symptoms. At Yolandé van der Westhuizen Audiologists we do not include all these tests at a routine hearing test in order to keep the cost of the hearing evaluation reasonable for the patient. If indicated, these additional tests could include: Reflex decay; Tone decay; Uncomfortable Loudness Levels; Most Comfortable loudness Levels; Short Increment Sensitivity Index; etc.
- Do you have normal hearing abilities or is there a hearing loss present.
- In the case of a hearing loss we would be able to confirm the following:
- The degree of hearing loss (the extent of the hearing loss)
- The type of hearing loss (where in the ear the problem lies)
- Possible causes of this hearing loss
- Treatment options: Is the hearing loss medically treatable through possible medication or surgery or is a hearing device or hearing aid required?
I have had a hearing test and a hearing loss was diagnosed…
Your audiologist will be able to tell you whether hearing aids will be of benefit to you. If your hearing loss is treatable with hearing aids, your audiologist will review options with you. By building a clear picture of the person you are, the way you choose to live your life and the situations you most enjoy the sounds of, your hearing care professional can ensure you will get the most out of your hearing instrument.
Together the following will be reviewed:
Which style of hearing aid will best suit your needs and lifestyle
What features and performance levels you require, based on your listening difficulties
What hearing aid will fit in your budget
Benefits of wearing two hearing aids vs only one
The fitting of your hearing aids will follow soon after. Follow this link to find out more about “The process and journey with hearing aids”